Tuesday, May 14, 2013

where everyone is your aunty and uncle

Like every other kid in south east asia, I was taught to call anyone who is of an older generation that I am, aunty and uncle as a form of respect.
Eventhough we are not related to each other.

Some think its silly.
But I think its a pretty damn good idea.
You don't ever have to worry about forgetting someones name.
Just call them Aunty or Uncle.

Before I introduced Sean to my family and family friends, I gave him the prep talk about calling everyone Aunty and Uncle
He thought I was crazy.
"Why should I call them that? I don't even call my Aunties and Uncles that".
Aduh... give me a headache only this guy.
Just do it la..

After coming home for chinese new year for the second time this year, he's slowly getting the hang of it. 
I think he realises its actually easier to just call them Aunty and Uncle instead of trying to remember their names. And.. you don't get weird stares too.

When I was introduced to Sean's parents, I was asked to call them by their first names.
I insisted on calling them Aunty and Uncle.
But I didn't feel right calling them that too.
I did it when I wrote little notes and cards. But when it came to speaking, I just couldn't do it.
I guess I'm feeling same sort of thing as what Sean felt/is still feeling.

For awhile now, I've felt that its more appropriate to call them Mom and Dad.
I'm just waiting for the right time to do it.

Today, when I was looking through my phone contacts, I came across
 "Aunty Marita Collins and Uncle Joe Collins".
 It just didn't look right for some reason.
That's when I decided its time to change them.


Looks alot better now don't you think?

No comments: